|The following table lists the average download and upload speed results from various countries to Stormwind's VPN Service in real time. Every time a user does a speedtest the results are stored and averages updated. The listing shown as Stormwind's VPN Service displays the average speeds users are getting through the VPN service from all countries combined together.
|What are the factors that determine your speed test results?
1. The performance and configuration of your computer's firewall and antivirus software.
2. The performance of the network equipment in your home.
3. The bandwidth rate you purchased from your ISP.
4. How much your local ISP has oversubscribed their internet service to you.
5. Your country's internet inspection tools.
6. If you live overseas, the current performance of the submarine internet cables. Under sea earthquakes have severed cables and degraded service.
7. Performance of Stormwind's ISP Service.
8. Performance of Stormwind's network equipment.
As a point of reference, you will never get a faster bandwidth speed than the speed you purchased from your ISP. Stormwind's Test Lab has purchased a 12 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload bandwidth service from our local ISP. As you can see, the average download and upload speeds are near the purchased service levels. Stormwind has purchased a bandwidth rate of 100Mbps download and 100Mbps upload for the VPN Service.
How can I get faster speed test results?
1. You have the most control over three of the factors listed above.
a) Your computer
b) Your house network
c) Your level of purchased ISP service
2. The biggest performance increase will most likely come from increasing your purchased bandwidth rate from your local ISP. However, the bottleneck might be ISP oversubscribing or inspection tools watching network traffic going in and out of the country. You might try to find a friend who has a faster service to test with before upgrading.
3. The next best thing would be to have a computer professional review your computer to ensure it is not outdated and has properly configured firewall and antivirus software. Adding more RAM and a faster hard disk to your computer will help the computer perform better. Again, test with a friend's faster computer to Stormwind's Speedtest site to ensure that is an issue.
4. Finally, ensure your home network equipment (sometimes provided by the ISP) is no older than 3 years old. That will generally make sure your equipment has the latest performance capability. If you have Apple products (Macbook, iphone, ipad, etc) then our recommendation is to also have Apple network gear for your home to ensure 100% compatibility in the firmware of those devices talking to one another. We have seen mixed firmware environments degrade or drop network connections between devices.